Sunday, March 30, 2008

Secret product review

I have a secret. I'm almost ashamed to admit it. I broke down.....and.....got....this.....


I know what you're saying. But Dana you were so against having one. You liked not having yet another gadget to use when you run. And you would be right. I mean lamented over & over to my R.B. about not wanting to get one. What made me decide to get one was considering the fact that I have this light stress fracture due to going too fast too soon & increasing my distance at the same time. And I figured I would benefit from knowing my pace while I'm running rather than go mile marker to mile marker after the fact. Like I told my r.b.(who is also dealing w/ a stress fracture),the watch cannot physically make me slow down. Only I can do that. All it can do is give me the info & it's up to me to decide what to do w/ it. So once my leg is healed I'll work on building my pace more slowly(could use some advise in this area. I know about increasing your distance 10% each week but what about speed?) & hopefully the Garmin can keep me on track w/ that.

W/ that said,I have had a chance to use it for a couple of runs last week. The buttons are really hard to push but I'm getting used to them. It was interesting to see my pace while I was running(so much so that I had to work a little a harder to pay more attention to the road & less to the watch). I used it on my 4miler on Fri. Other than the fact that it lost the satellite about a 1/2 mile into my run,it's been cool to have.

Mile 1(1st half): 11:02(that's when the satellite dropped)
Mile 1(2nd half): 9:18(Ok going a little fast. I was still pissed that the it dropped the signal)
Mile 2: 9:50(Better)
Mile 3: 9:53
Mile 4: 9:19

Of course I have 1 more run(2miles) on Monday & then no more running(yeah I know,why did I get a Garmin right before I have to go on a running break? What can I say,my timing is priceless) until my leg is healed more. I'm going to be x-training Tues. thru Thurs. of this week & then my race on Saturday. After that I do have a 5k on the 2nd Sat. of May & hopefully w/ a month of not running my leg will be well enough to run that.

Hopefully I haven't lost too much running cred by bowing down to technology. Cause ya know every once in a while you know I'm gonna hav' ta kick it ole' skool & go "naked"!..;-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I *heart* my Garmin. Soon you will love yours too. Nothing to be ashamed of...

Besides, you don't have to wear it every time you run either...that's another choice. I'm at a point now where I mostly wear mine for my weekly long run, but go without on my short weekly runs. Nice compromise for me. :)

Steve Stenzel said...

I'm totally against having one too. But, UNLIKE YOU, I'm not weak, and I will NOT break down and get one.

(famous last words...)

GP said...

There's nothing wrong with using technology. That's why gadgets were invented. Would you refuse modern medicine if it helped you?

I think you should use whatever gadgets you want, when you want. When I started running, I was a total Nike+iPod girl; and then I started using the Nike+ with an HRM; and then I periodically borrowed a Garmin. I was like Drago in Rocky IV.

Now I just run with a wristwatch.

The toys totally worked for me, and then I didn't need them. So, I stopped using them. This summer, however, I'd like to focus a little more on intensity again and I'll go back to the HRM.

I'm glad you're paying attention to your pace. Good way to be a healthy runner ;-)

Gotta Run..... said...

And I thought I knew you..... not sure if I can be your friend anymore...... weak!!!

My Garmin 201 SUCKS!!!! Signal always drops. I could have mailed you mine :-)

How could you go and do this? :-)

The 311 Boys Mom said...

I got one...but I havne't used it due to weather & the injury......

I want to though. I want ANYONE to use it, so I can see it work on the PC at home & all that!!!

April said...

Isn't it addictive? I looooove my Polar!!