Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Stuff

My r.b. found out yesterday from the doc that she has a healing stress fracture. Must be something in the air. She's running the 10k w/ me so we both will be taking it slow. Speaking of speed(or lack thereof) did my 4 miles yesterday in 40:37/avg. pace 10:06. Red,it definitely wasn't as warm as it was on Fri but I'll take it.

Both Lisa & April mentioned that I shouldn't worry about my speed right now. And I have to say that's been easier said than done. Mentally as well as physically I'm used to going a lot faster. But I know it's not about speed but just getting time on the road & letting myself heal(as much as I can w/ me running on it). It's hard for me to stop comparing my times pre-fracture as oppose to now. Especially since I log all of my runs & w/ a click of the mouse can access the info. Ain't technology great?

Well I got the usual 2x/week x-training today. Gosh,I don't know what I'm gong to talk about once back off from running entirely & x-training 5x/week. Have a good Tues. everyone!

2 comments:

GP said...

Ugh. I know where you're coming from! It's hard to know what you've been capable of running and then accept what you have to do now.

Two things helped me: a) my friend reminded me that the miles I miss running (or running fast!) now are far smaller than the number I would miss completely if I didn't let myself heal; and b) think of this as a different period in your running career.

Honestly! You can't look at this healing period as the same running-you and a healthy-you. When you log your miles/times just remember that this is healing mode... vacation time. None of the times reflect your true potential. But completing the miles and upping your endurance will make the runner you will be in a post-injury world.

On a different note: thanks for visiting my blogs. It's nice to know that someone is reading what you're putting out there. Otherwise, all of these rambling thoughts would stay in mind head and take up valuable space.

Gotta Run..... said...

Mental Recovery is so much of the healing process during any injury. SUCKS!!! I am ready to be in the next stage.... RUNNING :)