Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Missing...in...

Yeah I know that I have been missing in action for a days. So let me give ya run down on what's been up w/ me:

Friday: Did my 3miler(actually I did 3.24) but w/o the R.B. Finish time 31:30/avg pace 10:15.

Saturday: Just hung around. Ran some errands.

Sunday: I...was...in...tax...HELL!!! Finally decided to do my taxes. Started about 9am figured I can get it knocked out in an hour. I used one of the online programs(H & R Block Taxcut). So they do all the calculations for you(after you plug in the numbers). As you know I am single & no kiddies so it should be pretty simple? Right? AND I should get a refund like I always have? Right again? WRONG. You see where this is going?

Several hours later I came to the sickening realization that I...OWE. How, may you ask. Well apparently Uncle Sam didn't take out enough(as if that's even possible). And then you may wonder well how come he didn't take out enough? Well folks it seems that on my employee W4 there were 3 allowances(deductions) on the form. Well I know I didn't get married in the past year & unless I suddenly became the Virgin Mary(ha!) then I didn't have any little ones. How did my job get that number? Well your guess is as good as mine.

In addition I also have an extra $5 coming out just so I won't owe. But w/ the 3 allowances it wasn't enough to offset it. I have corrected the form but I gotta give good ole' Sammy $374. Which compared to some others that's doesn't seem like a lot but when you don't have that exactly lying around it might as well be millions.

Did you know that if you want to setup a payment plan to pay taxes you owe,the IRS charges a setup(What exactly do they setup? I don't know) fee of $100? I didn't. Now if you owe thousands then the fee would be a drop in the bucket. But for my situation it's not worth it. And that fee doesn't go towards the bill. So I will be filing an extension but..MAN this bites! I had planned on using my refund(ha! again) to cover my moving expenses when I leave my current apartment(trying to get into a cheaper place).

So yesterday I had 6 miles to do. And the R.B. was w/ me(she's going thru a similar thing w/ taxes-found out she owed more than she thought she would for state and she's getting back a smaller refund(I wish I had THAT prob) than she expected from federal). So we were both needing to work off some serious stress. We finished the run in 1 hour/avg. pace of 10:00. It's been a few weeks since we've run together & it was good to catch up & b!tch about our taxes.

Sorry for the long post. I guess that's what happens when you don't blog for a few days. I've got the usual 2x/week x-training today. My race is now 11 days away. I'm starting to get really excited! And Robin,I also giggled when I was talking about player condoms. *Kisses*

3 comments:

m said...

I remember when I first got married and we got hit with the marriage tax. It was well over $1000. After that we both went to 0 and I think we still owed money the next year. WTF? Kids help now, but they cost too much money.

At least you got some runs in this weekend.

GP said...

It's taxes: you're allowed to write as much as you want. I'm sorry you owe. That stinks. But I'm glad you'll get it smoothed out now and not audited later.

Amy said...

That sucks... but as an accountant, it happens all the time to our clients... be careful with your extension and don't wait too long... the IRS charges interest on tax owed after April 15th.