Sunday, March 2, 2008

I do run,run

Yup,you read the title right. I did a run! Talked w/ the doc on Friday. She said that I had the beginnings of a light stress fracture. She didn't think that I needed a spec(bone-she said they are the same thing) scan. She did talk about doing a walking boot but only if I was still having pain when I walked. Also she corrected my technique w/ the massage roller. Apparently I wasn't applying enough pressure to really break up the tight muscles(which was contributing to the pain). She was ok w/ me doing a short run. But I had to take it s..l..o..w.. Almost a jog,just above a walk. Think trudging but gazelle like(no heel striking).

So I set out w/ the R.B. for 3 miles. We set the pace between 9:00-9:15.

Miles splits:

Mile 1: 8:57(oops a little fast,but gimmie a break I'm used to going much faster than this)
Mile 2: 9:10(better)
Mile 3: 9:00(like that negative split)

I did feel a little stiffness towards the middle of the run but not enough to make me stop although my r.b. kind of sped up a little & I told her to slow down! Never thought I would be the one to say that. Definitely felt some painful stiffness after the run but did the roller & felt a little better afterwards. Had some pain while I was running errands yesterday but got better by the end of the day.

I told the doc that I have a long run scheduled for Monday(6miler). She wants me to cut in half so I can ease back into training. I'm gonna do between 3-4 depending on how I feel during the day before the run.

Some of you commented on the dynamic stretching that I mentioned in a previous post. My pt recommended that I do certain movements to target the muscles used in running to warm up. Think running in place w/ high knees,running place while doing kick backs(trying to touch your butt w/ your heels),leg swings(stand on one leg while swinging the other back & forth from the hip). It takes about 5 mins to do them.

According to some studies dynamic(active) is more beneficial than static stretching because your making your muscles mimic the movements of running(but more exaggerated) w/o actually doing the run itself. The static stretching lengthens the muscles which isn't a bad thing but it makes them a little too limber & unable to handle the pounding force of running. Static stretching is good for after the run to break up the tightness built up from a run. There's tons of articles out there on net on this topic & I have to admit my legs(outside of my left ankle tendinitis & right leg stress fracture) don't feel quite as tight as they used at the start of a run after doing dynamic stretching as oppose to static.

Anyway this post has gone on long enough. I hope everyone is having a good weekend & thanks for listening. *Smooches*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your slow runs are faster than my fast runs.

*lol* at myself.

glad you are able to run again.