Monday, March 10, 2008

Realizations

I've got a 6miler today. But as usual I'll cut it short if pain gets bad. I am noticing that w/ each run the pain(calf tightness) isn't getting any worse(good thing) but is still there. So I guess that's progress!

Robin mentioned needing a new running plan in regards to dealing w/ her knee pain & G.I. issues. She realized that she needed to change something in her running otherwise she will continue to leave herself open to injury.

I also came to the same realization. Why does it take having an injury to get us to see that what we may be doing is wrong? Now I realize that I'm somewhat a newbie to running(1 year this month) but it's not like I'm new to exercise in general. I just figured that if I started slow(doing Galloway run/walk combo) that I would be ok. But somewhere along the way I realize that I could run longer than 5 mins & jumped one day from doing 5min run/40sec walk to running for an entire 30mins the next. I believe that coupled w/ a month later training for a 10k(went from avg. 6miles a week to 13) may have been my downfall. I increased both distance & speed at roughly the same time & I have read that you should do on or the other.

I've learned a painful lesson from all this but I pray this will make me a smarter & stronger runner. *Hugs*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I ran into the PT that treated two of my running injuries last year. I told her that I'm taking it easy (read: not trying to go faster and longer at the same time) because this year I want to stay injury free. So, I guess I had sort of the same realization as you!