Sunday, March 16, 2008

Not a rainy run after all

So I didn't have to run in the rain on Fri. Oh darn.. But it was warm enough to run in a sleeveless tank & shorts. Did the 5miler in 50:32/avg. pace 10:20. Only about a minute slower than my last 5miler. Because of my injury I had been slowing down by several mins on all of my runs so hopefully I am on the mend.

Red I wanted to give you an update. I don't have a complete stress fracture according to my doc. Just the beginnings(or almost) fracture. I agree that if I had a complete one I wouldn't be running period. But honestly I probably shouldn't be running at all even w/ an almost one until I completely heal but I've got a race in now two weeks. Gulp.. So a runnin' I go. But I have kept my speed down & built my mileage back up slowly. My leg has slowly been getting better & I know that I won't be going for any fast times at the race. I'm just going to take it slow & walk if I need to & enjoy my 1st 10k. My pt agrees that if I do that & not try to push it that I won't cause any further damage.

W/ all that said once I'm done w/ that race I may take a week or maybe 2(or possibly 3) & just x-train to let my leg heal more before I get back to running. Cause I have another race in May(Race for the Cure 5k) & I know that I need let my leg heal more than I have let it(w/ me constantly running on it) before I get back to running again.

I hope everyone had a good weekend out there in blogland & catch ya on the flip side.

2 comments:

GP said...

Well, I may not be a doctor, but I say do what feels right to you. Just remember to stop or at least slow WAY down if you start to hurt. But you already know that.

I know what it feels like to want to get that one race done before you give your injury a rest. The week before my half marathon last fall, I was in tears during my last long run — half from the pain, half from the thought of not running the race for which I had been training.

Just know that I took off 2-3 months from running over the winter and didn't lose much speed or endurance. So, even if you take off a few weeks after this 10K and keep up with cross-training (most important to me was any type of cardio), you should be A-OK for spring/summer races.

Again, I'm not a doctor, so this is just friendly experience sharing. Not not-it-all sharing ;-)

From the sounds of it, however, it's spring/summer in your neck of the woods anyway. I'm very jealous.

Happy healing!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I'm jealous too about your weather! I had such a cold run yesterday. So lucky you are still able to run, but heed all this wonderful runner sharing and don't aggravate anything. You're a smart girl and will what's best for you. Thinking of you!