Monday, March 17, 2008

R.B.'s half-mary

So my R.B. ran her 1st half-mary at the Shamrock Marathon in Va Beach yesterday. She did it in 2:02. I am SO proud of her! She had been dealing w/ some numb/tingling pain(she's seeing a sports doc today about it) in her left shin off/on for the past few weeks. But my girl rocked! She does have another one coming up in May(Nashville I think) that I know w/ enough rest to let her leg heal more she may be able to pull a sub-2 hour time.

Gina I guess the one thing that I have been afraid of is losing all the speed & endurance that I have built up by taking time off. But I realize that by continuing to run on an injury that's trying to heal that I losing it anyway. Even though my endurance is still there my speed definitely is not. But hopefully I am getting better about listening to my body & will take the time off. But come back to me after the race & I'm climbing the walls from not running!

Red it was kind of nice to run in shorts on Fri. Get some sun on my skin(should have remembered to put some sun block on..oh well). But it's back to pants(or at least capris) today for my 4miler. It's only supposed to be in the mid-50's. *Kisses*

3 comments:

April said...

Don't worry about speed. It will come back...it takes awhile...I'm still not back to normal from my injury, but the key is just getting out there if at all possible. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Unknown said...

Don't dwell on lack of speed. Focus on being able to be out there doing it!! :)

GP said...

Not only was I afraid that I would have no speed when I started running again, but that I would be afraid to run fast at all!

In fact, I set my 9:00/mile goal for this last race thinking it would actually be a stretch. Lo and behold!

Honestly, I used to think cross-training was a bunch of crap, and I didn't believe for a minute that aerobics could help running at all. But I really think it's what kept me afloat.

I half started doing more aerobic exercises (here is where I blush) to keep up with my, umm, eating habits. I had to burn off those cupcakes somehow! But my runner-doctor also recommended it. And I guess it makes sense; I'm just a skeptic.

And if I hadn't just read your most recent post, I was going to suggest R.B. had a stress fracture. Sounds like the same pain I had. Yick! All the best of healing to both of you!