Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Going deep

Yeah I know..Provocative title but git yer mind outta the gutta. I had my pt appointment yesterday. He focused on the "soft tissue"(think muscle not joint) stretching that included about a 20min deep tissue massage. He had me lying on my stomach w/ my right leg bent at a 90 degree angle. He had me in that position because when he first started it was going to be really painful(no kidding) & I might involuntarily kick him. I'm thinking..how often have you had that happen?. But Oh...my...God...for the 1st couple of mins I had to keep biting my lip from crying out. Yup he found the sweet spot. But eventually my leg gave up the goods & relaxed. After it was over I wanted to ask him was it good for him to?..;-)

We also talked about my race a bit more. He felt I could run the race but not to go all out. Keep my pace really slow,enjoy my surroundings & don't worry about times. Because if I try to go fast(which honestly I can't) I could end up doing more damage. This definitely made me feel better. Anyway since this is my 1st 10k it would naturally be a PR right? Plus I figured w/ all that I have learned thru having this injury & I could come back next year(cause yes I will be running this race again) & hopefully run for a faster time.

Speaking of running,I've got a 2miler today. *Later*

3 comments:

m said...

ahh the sweet spot. Love the sweet spot. I agree with your trainer. Run it easy and there is always another race when you are healed.

I saw a ton of walkers and runners out yesterday. I was driving in my car though. I love that the weather is getting a bit warmer.

GP said...

I second, third and fourth the race advice. Take it easy. The real trick to healing is just listening to your body. It's pretty simple: if it hurts, slow down or stop!

And you're so right: it will be a PR whatever you do! It's a fantastic outlook and it really separates you and your good attitude from most of the world. So, high five there!

Once I was up and running after my stress fracture, it was kind of... make that unbelievably nice to take those runs in which I could actually... run! It didn't need to be fast and I was just pumped to be doing it. Recovery is one great reason to step back and love what you're doing.

Plus, you get people to clear, map out and close off over six miles for you and hydrate you along the way. Now that's some good treatment.

Have a great race. I'm running my first race out of recovery on Saturday. Here's to kicking butt!

Unknown said...

1 - first race at distance is always a PR!!!

2 - have fun. have fun. have fun.