Thursday, February 14, 2008

Being watched

Is kind of creepy but in a good way. Got my 15 mins of fame yesterday w/ the pt videotaping my 2 mile treadmill run. He started towards the end of my run cause you're really into your groove by then. He got back(ummm..HELLO my butt looked HUGE!) & side shots.

What he found is that I pro-nate although not a lot but enough to possibly cause the tendinitis. So the exercises that he gave me is supposed to help w/ strengthening my hips,calves & ankles(it's all connected,baby). He also said that I tend to do the heel strike method. Apparently about 80% of people run like this. Good thing I'm not alone. Anyway he wants me to land more mid-foot to toe. That helps the muscles absorb more of the shock(& react accordingly) than the bones. In addition to the pro-nating & the heel striking I also sound like a Klydesdale(sp?) when running. I need to have a lighter footfall to be a more efficient runner. Think more gazelle & less horse.

Oh & to top things off the next time I need new running kicks I need some w/ more motion control. So the Nikes I have now are out because they are more neutral.

All in all good feedback from the pt about my gait(also got even more pt exercises to do at home).

April asked about what stretching I do for my shins. I got this stretch from Runner's World. You stand facing either chair or wall(for balance) take either right or left foot behind the leg that standing. Make sure your the foot that's behind the other is on it's toes. Then you start squating(as if you are about to take a seat) but lean forward slightly. You should feel a slight pull in your shins of the leg that you're balanced on. Hold for a count of 10-15secs. then repeat for the other side. Generally that does help but my bad case of shin splints on Tuesday may been caused from me landing so heavily on my feet.

Got the usual 2x/week x-training tonight. Sorry for the long post(if you're still w/ me) & thanks for hangin'.

3 comments:

m said...

I overpronate. I have always hated Nike shoes too, but that is just me. I go to a running store (not foot locker) and have the guys look at me walk. They have put me in Brooks. Love them. Though I think they look like shoes from a blue light K-mart special.

I hate your word verification too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got tons of feedback. Good luck with finding new shoes that you like and fitting in all those pt exercises!

April said...

Thanks for the stretching tips! I'll try them out this weekend!