Friday, January 11, 2008

Thanks

First off I wanted to thank everyone for the kind comments on my crappy 2miler on Wed. M you're not pathetic. The fact that you got out there & tried puts you ahead the many others that didn't. And Red, had I looked at my watch during that run I probably would have ripped it off my arm,flung it the ground & stomped on it into smithereens(trust me I felt like doing that after my run-only thing that stopped me was that it's my heart rate monitor & I would have to shell out $100 bucks for another one). But I do agree that for all the bad runs we have that when we do have a good run it does make it all worth it in the end. Robin you know I went round & round yesterday trying to figure out what went wrong what could I change so that I could have a good run in the future. Finally I just had to just chalk it up to a bad run & let it go. I figured no good could come continuing to focus on the negative aspects thus affecting my future runs.

But I did come to a conclusion yesterday. I realized that I may have been pushing myself too hard on the cardio portion of my x-training. See,I do a total of 31 mins of cardio split up roughly between the elliptical & the tread. I do an average of level resistance 6 on the elliptical going for a total of 2.40 miles in 16mins. Now that's not bad considering there is no impact w/ the elliptical. However,when I'm on the tread I was going about 7.5mph for a total of 1.71 miles in 15mins. Even though the tread provides some(read: very little) cushion it's almost like being out on the road. I've gotten so used to when I run regardless as to what surface I'm on, to run fast & hard. Which is fine when I'm on the road. When I'm on the tread,I am supposed to be x-training. It needs to be less about trying to get in x amount of miles in x amount of time & just staying w/in my aerobic training zone.

So last night I payed close attention to my heart rate(max 166/I was at 168 for the last min of my run) while I was on the tread. Even though both of my ankles were bothering me throughout the run,I felt better overall afterwards. My overall avg. pace was 6.7. Total miles 1.58. Now I don't know if me going fast on the mill contributed to my less than stellar 2miler on Wed. but I figured that w/ my injured ankle(s) & the miles that I am putting on the road that I need to take it easy when I'm supposed to.

I've got my 5mile tempo run today. I don't have high expectations but I will pay more/better attention to my form & run relaxed & easy. I will try my best not to let what happened a few days ago affect me(but I'm not gonna lie & say that I'm a little apprehensive about today's run because of it). Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! (I can't believe you read through my whole journey - that's amazing!) :)

Sorry about your bad run. We all have them sometimes - who knows why. Take care of those ankles and enjoy your runs. Don't lose the joy with all your analyzing. (I say that because I do the same thing.)

Have a great weekend!