Saturday, January 19, 2008

Angry errand running-Part 2

So where we last left off,I was leaving the compound pharmacy irritated but hopeful I could get my wedges..

Because the sports doc I saw yesterday was out of the left side corrective heel wedges that I needed,I thought I would go to my local pharmacy today to pick them up. I even called yesterday to confirm that they had what I was looking for. So I stroll into the pharmacy & ask the clerk where there heel wedges are. He points me to the home medical equipment section. I am thinking that this wouldn't necessarily qualify as "home medical equipment"-think wheelchairs,bars to put in the bathroom..ya know stuff for the home. Anyway I head back there & ask that clerk was the stuff was. He preceded to tell me that kind of thing isn't sold back here! To his credit he did walk w/ me to where they sold the insert stuff. We are both looking & all I see are heel cushions,gels & cups. No wedges. He tries to sell me on the cup & I'm like,"It's a wedge,not a cup". I then ask him to get an actual pharmacist out there. Then the pharmacist tries to do the same thing!

I told them both that I called yesterday & someone there said that they had what I was looking for. Of course they asked me who did I speak to. I told them it was a guy but I didn't ask for the name(mistake-on my part..I should know to always get the name..Easier for blaming..I mean uhhh..easier for accountability). Then I was told to call back on Monday when they head pharmacist was there. Of course he doesn't come in til 9am.

Now as I mentioned before in part 1 I've got an early(read: 8am 7miler) on Monday. I wanted to have the chance to use the wedges & cream then. And you know what blows? I sat around all day yesterday after my doc appointment & could have gotten both of these things yesterday. I was so mad when I left the traditional pharmacy that I was turning the air blue w/ all the cursing I was doing. If it wasn't for the fact that I just ran yesterday,man I could have had a heck of run today,M!

Kim asked whether I had my gait analyzed to find out determine whether I over or under or pronate at all. When I started running about year ago,I went to my local running store to get fitted for shoes. The clerk watched me run & determined that I didn't over or under or pronate at all & that I need a neutral shoe w/ lots of cushioning. So got these..
Then this past Thanksgiving I replaced those above w/ these..


They are the same model as the blue ones so I figured that I didn't have to try them on before I bought them. Big mistake! For some reason they didn't have as much cushion as the blue ones. Couple that w/ beginnings of what I know now I have(tendinitis),I bought these a few weeks later..

I thought that I could rotate between then green Saucony & Nike. Use the Saucony for x-training & the Nikes for my road running. Doc wants me to use Nikes exclusively due to reason I posted here. She believes that w/ the increased mileage(due to my 10k training & for some reason I tend to turn my feet inward when I run is what caused the tendinitis). Maybe if I had learn proper form & foot strike before I started running seriously it might have prevented this. But who knows.


I wanted to thank all of you for the well wishes about my injury. I have been icing & doing my stretches today & will do them tomorrow as well. As far as the wedges & cream(now there's a road we don't want to travel down) I'll get it sorted out on Monday hopefully. I'll just have to take my 7miler slow & easy. And since I have been running this long w/o the stuff 1 more run is not going to it make any worse. Bex,my hair is the only thing that went right today. Imagine a female Buckwheat,& that's what I looked like before I got my hair relaxed & colored. Too bad I don't have a camera. Thanks for letting me vent. Good night.










2 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

Injuries never come at a great time but it is smart of you to do whatever it takes to be smarter and recover from this. Keep doing what you are doing!

Steve Stenzel said...

Dang, that'd make me angry too!

Just wanted to let you know that I updated my PSA and about running in the cold and I included your advise at the bottom. Thanks!!