Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ball & band review plus a 2miler

Yesterday I used the ball & bands that I bought over the weekend. I used the middle resistant band doing these exercises..

(pics courtesy of Sparkpeople-sorry if they're a little fuzzy)

The 1st exercise(guy lying on his back) is w/ the band wrapped around the ankle to work the outer thigh. I had to get the motion down but not too bad. The 2nd exercise(woman standing by the couch holding on to a chair) is w/ the band wrapped around the leg of the couch & the ankle to work the inner thigh. Very good workout. I could really feel it.

Next up I used the ball for these exercises..

(pics courtesy of Sparkpeople-sorry again if they're a little fuzzy)

Top left pic is for the hamstrings. Decent. I could feel it while I was doing it. Top middle pic is for the abs. Can I just say..owww! My knees were killing thru this one. Not sure if that's the purpose. May have to recheck my form for this one. Top right pic is for the quads. I did it w/o the additional hand weights. Not too bad. Definitely could feel it while I was doing it but I will add hand weights next time. My quads as you might have guessed are pretty strong from the running that I do so it takes quite a bit to tax those babies.

Bottom left pic is for the left back. Oh...my..gosh..!!!! First let me say that I had a little trouble staying on the ball. Once I was on,I only managed to get a few reps in before I would lose my balance & fall off. Thought my core & balance was pretty strong,but this exercise kicked my butt. But I look at it as a challenge. I will become one w/ the ball. Bottom right pic is for the abs again. I like this one even though I felt a little light-headed afterwards.

Red asked if I tried to the Bosu ball. I tried it once at my gym & I liked it. I think once I get a handle on the stability ball I will look into getting one for my home.

Lisa I am hoping the novelty doesn't wear off & I'll become unmotivated to use them at home. But given the fact the exercises are challenging right now should keep me coming back for more!

So all in all good lower body workout. My triceps are a little sore from where I had to balance on my hands for 2 of them. Don't feel any soreness in the legs but the ball & bands are a keeper.

In running news,I did just my 2 miles yesterday. Total time 17:04. Coolness..I've got x-training tonight. Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

You picked some great one for core work. Using the ball forces you to focus on your core more. I would recheck your form on the one that bothered your knees. Sure you can figure that one out.

Great job!

Soapin' Cindy said...

Is there no end to the various tortures you can inflict with a big rubber ball? Master Sean has balls all over his Lab! ;-)

Janet Edwards said...

Those balls are fantastic...there is just no end to the exercises you can do with them and it is so good for your core!