Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Balls,bands & the ellip

31 mins on the elliptical last night..Actually it wasn't too bad. Maybe because it's been years since I've done it so it's the novelty but I managed to stay on w/o wanting to rip my hair out. Kim mentioned having tunes w/ her when she does it, & I do the same thing. I was definitely rockin' my mp3! Annette also said try moving to a different elliptical half way thru to fool myself into thinking I am going to a different machine. I kinda like that idea & may have to try it tomorrow. Also I am constantly changing up the resistance(ranging from 2 to 9) every few mins or so to keep body challenged so that helped break up the monotony.

I've got my 2 miler(just 2miles). Nothing extra. But over the weekend I decided to buy these..

On Wed. I normally do lower body strength training(my apartment complex has a fitness center) after doing my short run. On Fri. after 5 mile tempo run I do Pilates for the lower body. I realized that once I started training for the 10k my Fri. lower body weight training went out the window. Now I know some would argue,well you're running for 5 miles,your legs have gotten enough of a workout. But I know how important weights are for keeping those legs muscles strong & limber so you can do the distance. I bought the band & ball above to do strength training in my home(tired of using what my apartment laughingly calls a fitness center). I also wanted to give my body a jolt & move away from using nautilus equipment. I figured the ball would also be great for core work(which I do on Mon. after my long run).

So I'll be trying them out today. I have some exercises off the net but if any of you out there use these let me know what you think of them.

3 comments:

Soapin' Cindy said...

Runners think they don't need the leg strength training, but they do...running tends to tax certain muscles, but leaves others untouched. That's what my sports doc told me and he's an elite runner in this area! Aren't those balls great? Have you tried a Bosu ball yet?

Unknown said...

I have bands and a ball. The problem for me is that I can't get motivated to use them at home. I do better when I go to the gym. It's all mental for me.

m said...

I always wanted that big blue ball. Though the kids would think it was theirs and leave it outisde. The dog would pop it, eat it and move it through her bowels. Then I would step in it. Not much of a workout now was it?

Good luck with the new equipment.