Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year resolution gym folks

Yesterday at the gym. Tons of people but strangely the cardio area was fairly empty. Weight machine area was crowded. Had to wait for a couple of machines but not too bad. Actually the machines I had to wait for was used by someone who had been coming to the gym for a while. Not a newbie! Too be fair I get to the gym about 4pm(so before the 5 crowd). Saw a few new faces but that's it.

My gym does have programs like it's own version of The Biggest Loser to keep people coming back. So they are not all about just taking your money not caring if you come in or not. Too bad they don't have programs for those of us like myself who have lost the weight & are maintaining. It took me a year to lose about 60lbs & I have kept that off for about 6 years now. Now I am not saying that it was easy. It was very hard & there were times when I was close to my goal weight where I would gain a few lbs as if my body was saying, "I know that you are NOT trying get to your goal weight!,That's it,I'm done." But w/ all that said trying to maintain that loss over a lifetime DEFINITELY has it's challenges but for different reasons. You have those that will congratulate when you are initially at your goal weight but it becomes the norm. Over time people around you just get used to you looking like that. And even though this country has made huge strides in trying to change it's unhealthy habits we still have a long way to go. Because we still are constantly bombarded w/ super-size everything because a lot people have a hard time saying "Enough!".

Anyway sorry for the long post. I've got a 3 miler w/ the running bud today. Gotta keep up that 60lb loss!

1 comment:

jeanne said...

did you say 60 lbs??? IN A YEAR!??
WOW!!!
congrats! and especially congrats for keeping it off. that is QUITE an accomplishment!