Thursday, January 10, 2008

20:30..WTH?!?!?!

So apparently the funk that I was in yesterday carried over into my 2miler run last evening. That's right folks,2miles in 20:30. We're talking roughly 10min/mile. And no I wasn't walking. I realize that some who runs slower than that would love a time like that. But this is me. Someone who just week ago was running the same distance in 16:59. I am the same person who did roughly 8:40min/miles this past Monday for my 6miler. What the....? My right ankle was a little tight in the beginning but loosened up w/in a few mins. My left ankle not a peep. The weather was 10 degrees cooler than it was on Monday but still warmer than what it should be for this time year. I don't know. I know we can all have off runs. Where you think you did everything right & you're feeling good but the running gods decide to have a laugh at your expense. Red knows what I'm talking about. So I am going to try in keep it in perspective & not go cry in a corner(besides I'm outta Kleenex). So instead I offer a plea to the running gods/karma:

Dear Running Gods/Karma,

I know that I don't always do what I am supposed to do to ensure a good run. I may not always get enough rest the night before. I may not eat the best things(although could you give me points for my pre-workout snack of fresh fruit & fiber-filled cereal? Thanks). I may not change out my shoes when I should. Or not stretch enough before/after a run. Or listen to my body when it's pain. While I don't expect to get rewarded for bad behavior w/ a great run,I don't feel it's necessary to thumb your nose at me when I do get it right. This may be asking a lot but I will try from now on to respect the distance(any distance no matter how long/short) & realize that I cannot take you for granted any more. Thanks.

Dana

So w/ that said I am headed to the gym tonight for x-training. And Red,to be fair I do get to the gym about an hour before 5:00 clock crowd. I am not there during their busiest time. While I am hoping the few new faces I saw will keep coming(cause think about it,while we regulars hate this time of year, if the newbies stayed then they would become us & we get used to the crowd or either continue to curse the day they walked in) I know that at least 1 or 2 may not come back. Good luck to all those on the road today & remember respect the distance.

3 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

Man I hate it when you have a run like that. Makes you question EVERYTHING!! Sleep the night before, food intake, temps and clothing, mental focus, why you even run..... but the best thing is that "those runs" do not happen everyday. Kind of makes up more thankful when it all comes together.

m said...

I've had those runs. Now I know when I'm having one and either I push myself way to hard or i just quit. Once I quit 2 min and 22 seconds into a run. Yep. I'm that pathetic at times

Soapin' Cindy said...

I think I've figured out that I have 5 crappy runs for every one really good run. So, I keep chasing that one good run. It's worth it, don't you think? When I'm having one of "those" runs, I just turn off my watch. It's best to not know the time.