Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ramblings

I wanted thank those who weighed in w/ opinions about me getting a Garmin. I am definitely torn. I thought more about last night when I was at the gym & I realized that I love running for fun & fitness. And even though people tell me I'm fast I don't intentionally work on my speed. I don't do speedwork & outside of the tempo runs I have scheduled for my 10k training I have no interest in wanting to get faster. I realize that the more I run I'll get a little bit faster(as my muscles become more efficient at pounding the road) but that's enough for me. And as far the distance feature of the Garmin well I use Map My Run & print out directions for my long runs(over 3 miles). A part of me doesn't want to become a slave to another gadget but I do see the pros for having one. But not unless someone is willing to give me(& even then I would feel guilty about taking it because I know I won't get much use out of it for the reasons I stated above) one then I REALLY don't see me buying one for myself. W/ all that said who knows I might change my mind(I'm a girl..sue me) & buy one anyway.

So I've got a short 2miler today & the temps are supposed to be in the upper-40s w/ wind chill of low to mid-40s & cloudy. I am wondering when I will head to the treadmill when temps get too cold? I know those who live in the midwest(Steve) are used to running in much colder temps but I am not looking to get frostbite in my girly bits..I know no chance of that today..But still..Anyway good luck to all those who are running today & thanks listening to my rambling.

3 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

I don't have a Garmin but also have been toying with the idea of getting one. If only they were $20, my decision would be easier!

m said...

Dana,

I see people with Garmins on and it looks like they are jogging with a pc on their arms. (no offense to you Garmin runners) I get obsessed with my splits (via watch on my runs) if I had a garmin I don't know what that would do to me. My times improve greatly through sprints.

You fast enough without the garmin. Save your money for something fab. (like new running shoes...or a facial, massage, the list could go on and on.

Kim said...

I've had a Garmin for a long time,but the only thing I really like for is distance guaging. It is kind of nice to just take off down some side road, and know how far you are going without doing any extra work.

I've been on runs tho, where I've been strapped in with the HR monitor, the Garmin, and the iPod, and I feel like a Borg.