Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cold run

FINALLY,FINALLY the cold temps are here! It was around 45 degrees w/ a wind chill factor of 39 yesterday for my run. Did 6miles(easy 9:03 pace) in 55mins. Definitely could not go faster due to running w/ my friend(she has a Garmin & the map to where we were running). She kept telling me over & over that I need a Garmin. I keep thinking that outside of needing to know my pace(I did a down'n'dirty method of going mile marker to mile marker in a certain time-but you see how well that worked-see tempo post) for my tempo runs I really can't afford to spend the $$ for something that would sit inside the box after my 10k training. But then she pointed out because I wasn't trying to go that fast,I might injure myself by pushing myself harder(w/o knowing it) than what my body is currently training for. I hate it when she makes sense! So we'll see. In addition to totally shooting down my argument for not getting a Garmin,she totally surprised me by giving me a reflective vest to run in! I totally was not expecting that! Since it gets darker so much earlier(like around 5) it's nice to know that my running partner doesn't want me to get hit. Then again it would mean that she would have to look for another one if I did which would mess up her running schedule

I've got x-training today at the gym. Have a good Tuesday everyone!

4 comments:

jeanne said...

hey thanks for the comment dana! it was TOO cold (28F) for me to run today. i like it best around 35F. Why won't the weather cooperate??

Nice work, you are FAST!

Gotta Run..... said...

What a nice gift!!! Every runner should have one. So much safer out there.

As for the garmin.... mine has been setting a basket in my closet for at least 4 months. They are great but sometimes it is better running and listening to what your body is telling you. I found it hard to know how to pace myself when I counted on the garmin to much. I am such a clock watcher so I had to start leaving it at home.

Pros and cons for sure.

Soapin' Cindy said...

I've never had one, but I can see the argument both ways. In general, clocks just mess with my fun...

Steve Stenzel said...

I'm totally a fan of the "down'n'dirty method" of keeping track of your pace. Down with Garmin!!!

Yesterday, it WARMED UP to 30. It was a great break from my 15 - 20 degree runs.