Monday, December 10, 2007

5k & other weekend stuff

So this weekend past by in a blur. And I know that time usually does when you are doing something fun. Here's my weekend rundown(I won't be offended if you want to skip to the bottom-really..):

Friday:

Did a 3.1miler w/ running friend. Did it a 8:58 pace. Nice & easy since I had my 5k race on Sunday. Then later that evening I had drinks w/ said running friend. I was in by 9pm though cause I had some surfing on the net to do for a dip recipe for my choir annual potluck Christmas party.

Saturday:

Got my hair done in the morning then did some Christmas shopping & general errand running. I had to pick up a $5 gift for the "Dirty Santa" game that is played at the party. Ended up getting some black cherry jam at the World Market(I heart that store). I managed to get one person crossed off my list but of course I bought a couple of things for me as my reward! You know one gift for one person/2 gifts for me! Went to the Christmas party that night. I had tons of fun. And there was SOOO much food. Sausage dips,meatballs in a sweet type sauce,cheesecake. I never did surf the net Friday night for a dip recipe so I decided to buy a chocolate angel food cake for the party. It was never eaten!. No matter though,I sent it home w/ someone else. Didn't need a whole cake in my house since I live alone. We sang Christmas carols(of course we tried to do the 12 Days of Christmas & couldn't remember after the 9th day. Any know what's given after that?) But it was fun just the same. Later we played "Dirty Santa"(which I had never played). The rules were each person would pick a gift in order(1-how many gifts were there-we had 17). The next person could steal the previous person's gift or pick from the pile. A gift could only be stolen 3 times. I got the last number so I had the chance to see what everyone got that I could steal. There were some gag gifts(think singing Christmas trees & mice). No way I wanted those! Someone had a tealight holder in the shape of a snowman(done in silver) & one of those running water stone statues(runs by batteries). I really wanted the stone statue so I took that one. Then someone showed up late to the party & ended up taking it! So I ended taking the snowman tealight holder.

Update: At church on Sunday the host of the party bought me a running water stone statue! She said she felt bad that my gift got taken since the game was over w/ by the time the late person got there. I told her that she shouldn't have but accepted it just the same. Almost brought tears to my eyes!

Sunday:

Did my 1st 5k running the entire distance! Clock time was 25:59/official result 26:03. It wasn't a chipped race so everyone had to walk down the chute so their time could be recorded manually. In a way I don't like non-chipped races because the people recording the time are often 10-15feet away from the clock not to mention the human error. But it was small running-club sponsored race w/ the proceeds going towards the Toys 4 Tots program so no chip. I didn't start off too fast like I was afraid of doing. Unfortunately I don't have a watch that gives me splits(maybe Santa-if you're listening-can bring a Garmin for Christmas?). Anyway I am really proud of my time & it was a well-organized race. The only negative was a lot of the kids on course kept stopping in the middle of the road to either look for the friends and/or parents. I have no problem w/ kids running in these races but please for heaven's sake MOVE TO THE SIDE! Don't stand right there in the middle of the road leaving everyone who is running to go around you! One great thing that happened(other than my time-I also placed in the top 10 in my age group(30-34)) my running partner showed up to cheer me on! She thought about doing it w/ me but due to getting mono a few months ago she didn't feel up to racing just yet. I had left her message that morning to remind of the time if she wanted to come out but I figured that she wouldn't show. Imagine my surprise when she tugs on my arm just I am about to line up at the start! That totally made my day.

Sorry for the long post(if you are still w/ me). I plan on doing an easy 5miler this afternoon. I am starting to train for a 10k in the spring of next year. I know that my running partner stated that I should do less miles today(since I just raced yesterday) & do a longer run either Tues. or Wed. But honestly my legs feel good & Tues. isn't going to work because I x-cross train that day(as well as Thurs.) & Wed. doesn't work because I do a short run(3.1miles) then & right afterwards I have choir practice. So I figured as long as I take slow,listen to my body(& stop if it starts to hurt) I should be ok. Until next time....

4 comments:

E-Speed said...

congrats on your first 5k! sounds like the holidays are treating you well so far!

Dana said...

Elizabeth I CAN'T believe YOU(being the speed demon that you are) of all people commented on my blog! This means so much to me coming from someone like yourself. Thanks for the shout out!

Soapin' Cindy said...

She is a speed demon, but she's a very nice speed demon. :-) Congrats on a very fine 5K time!

Kim said...

25/26 minutes for your first 5K? whee!!! Nice going!!!