Sunday, May 11, 2008

5k race recap

Well even though I didn't PR(last year's time was 28:41) I am proud of my time this year(28:58). I ran conservative & smart race. Plus I ran the whole(no run/walk combo) way. No pain from the leg the entire time. But this was technically a harder course than last year. They moved the course to a new location which provided a bigger space for the starting line(there were 9,000 participants compared to about 3,000 last year). But this year's course was a LOT hillier. Now normally that would not be a problem but I haven't done hills in about a month since my injury,so let's just say they were a unexpected surprise. They were some steep downhills & one uphill that although was not steep was gradual that went on forever. Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 9:36(had to maneuver around the walkers,strollers & people who thought that this was a chance to sight see)
Mile 2: 9:13(hilly part,some downhill & that monster uphill that felt like I was still on it 2 days later)
Mile 3: 9:14
Mile .1: 7:47(wicked downhill. You would think this would be a good thing at the end,but the grade was steep & unexpected).

Couldn't have asked for better weather(in the mid 50's & partly cloudy). Started w/ the r.b. but she was pulling away too much & I wanted do the race w/o pain & more importantly not have pain afterwards so I told her to go ahead. She however didn't fair as good on the course & to walk some due to stitches. But she did finish about 2mins ahead of me.

So far I have had no pain today(thank God) but I think instead of adding another 1/2 mile for my long run tomorrow,I'm going to stick w/ just 3miles(since I raced yesterday & give my legs a chance to recover a little more). I hope everyone is having a good Mother's Day weekend & ((Hugs)) to all the moms out there today.

4 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

AWESOME JOB!!! In my book that sure sounds like a PR. You have been dealing with an injury but it sure sounds like that it behind you.

So happy for you and those hills you tackled.

keep it UP!

Unknown said...

Good job. Running pain free is probably the best news of all, huh?

m said...

YEA! Good job. So glad there is no pain! You are the little 5k princess now! I need to get back to the races. I hate them, but they keep grounded!

Amy said...

Great job in the race!!