Monday, April 21, 2008

Whoa.....

Today's run. My first run since my 2 week running break to let my leg heal from the slight stress fracture. All I can say is....Whoa.. 2 miles in mid-60's w/ a light wind & drizzle. Finish time 20:44/Mile 1 10:43/Mile 2 9:49. Talk about your negative splits,baby! When I started I felt a light twinge as if my ankle was saying: I know this chick ain't tryin' to run..

But the twinge quickly disappeared. And then I felt nothing. NOTHING people for 2 glorious miles! There was a point in my run where everything clicked. You know the feeling when you hit the sweet spot. It's like your breathing,your legs,your arms,your heartbeat become one. It feels like your flying like every step is effortless. I swear,when I looked up in the sky the clouds had parted like someone up there was watching my back & whispering in my ear: you got this. Sorry for the mush,but after all that I had put my poor body thru(by forcing it run thru the worst of my injury),I worked hard at x-training & the pt during my break to deserve this run. I know not all runs are going to be like this. Heck,I could wake up tomorrow & my leg could be in pain & could be limping but I know this run is a start.

So depending on how my leg feels tomorrow will determine what I do on Friday(either 1-2 miles). I normally x-train on Tues. & Thurs & will swim on Wed. My pt thinks that's a good plan for my first week of running. I'm outeeee....

3 comments:

GP said...

Great to hear! Just keep listening to what you're body's saying and you should see smooth sailing!

Isn't the best feeling to run — after a period of painful strides — without having to dread the next time your foot hits the ground?

I still run with joyful paranoia (I'm terrified the pain will return and that it's all too good to be true!). But at least it's a pain-free paranoia.

Amy said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you finally had a pain-free run!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm excited for your pain-free miles. And even better - the "sweet spot." I love it when a run feels like that. :) Take it slow and listen to your body. AND enjoy the runs!