Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Playing catchup

I've been doing my x-training faithfully. Went swimming this evening. It was nice to work out the kinks although my toes cramped up w/in the first few mins because I was wearing flippers & weren't quite used to the stiffness. But gradually my feet relaxed & it was all gravy. Even did a little pool jogging. yeah..Let's just say that's something that I definitely need to work on.

Lisa asked about the foam roller that I have been using. Actually what I use is a massage ball roller like the one below...



It fits in the palm of my hand & I can really dig in between my shin bone & calf muscle to get at the one that tight. I only use it for a couple of mins(because it's hard to keep the pressure w/ such a small device) but really that's all the time that's needed to loosen up the muscle. It's been a godsend.

Gina the leg has been feeling pretty good although I still haven't ran on it yet(this upcoming Monday..YES!!). I know that will be the true test so we're counting down the days.

M,gotta love that spell check!

So I guess that's it for now. More you-know-what at the tomorrow. *Kisses*

3 comments:

GP said...

I tried water running once, and I think it took me... 3 laps to get over myself and stop feeling goofy; 2 laps to stop missing the ground and slipping face-first into the water; 2 more laps to get my arms to stop stroke and just pump; 4 laps to get my rhythm down and actually feel like I was running — albeit in slow motion; and about 30 laps to feel well-worked.

I think it took the 30 laps to feel anything because I was just doing it all wrong. It was, however, a good addition to my recovery training. Not only does it give you a sense of running while working your running muscles without all the strenuous impact on your body, it also helps you appreciate those older people who run like 1,000 laps a day.

Admittedly, I have a complete lack of coordination. I even fall when running, slowly, on the ground.

The 311 Boys Mom said...

I'm a MAJOR cluts! but I was thinking of adding water running. but It does just seem so silly & wrong! :o)

I'm gonna start running today or tomorrow....my kid gets his license tomorrow...so maybe tomorrow might I'll hit the track.

I have a little massage ball like that. I'll have to get it out for the hard to foam roll places!

Anonymous said...

That little roller looks interesting. Glad it's helping. Nice work on the x-training.

Hope the leg is good on your upcoming "test" on Monday.