Sunday, December 23, 2007

I give up-Part 2-confession time

Didn't think that you would be getting 2 posts outta me on the same day but didn't want to make you sit thru one extra-long post.

W/ that said I have a confession to make. I believe that I may have a little tendinitis in my left ankle(I have never had it before. Feels like a burning sensation like ligaments tearing). I know,I know everyone will say it's because I have been going too fast. But up until I started officially training for the 10k a couple of weeks ago I had no idea how fast I was going. And even then my ankle wasn't hurting. It started acting up once I cut down & lower body strength training & upping my running(per the sched). I used to lower body weight training on Wed. & Fri. Now it's just Wed. cause Fri. is tempo days. I actually do calf raises(they also help strengthen my ankle) at the gym as part of my routine. But now I do a modified version at home w/ standing on leg while slowly lifting & lowering my body up on my toes. It's not the same as the gym because there I am standing on a ledge w/ weights on my shoulders & my feet hanging off the back while raise & lower my body. But get this,I didn't feel the pain when I was on the road only when I am running on the treadmill(I know,yet another reason to hate it!). Something about running on the tread & my ankle being in the same locked position/versus the road when I constantly have to adjust my stride & ankle position to compensate for the ever changing surface caused me not to notice the pain at all when I was road running.

I had gotten new running shoes around Thanksgiving in preparation for the 10k training. I got the same model as I had last year but for some reason they didn't feel as cushy(I didn't try them on before I left the store cause I figured that I didn't have to since it was the same model as before). I blew it off thinking that maybe it was just me. Well the shoes never felt the same but I continued to use them. I would even feel the pain going down a set of stairs(never going up). I looked like a little old lady moving down them!

But anyway this past week at the gym I was near tears by the time I got off the treadmill(I only go for about 1.61miles) because my ankle was hurting so badly. So I decided to see if I could exchange them for another brand. Well because I had worn them I couldn't return them(obviously but I was hoping the running store would take pity on me-but no luck there) but they did give me a break on this pair. They feel AMAZING! Now I am not saying that it's the shoes that causing the problem but maybe a combo of not doing as much lower body weight training,adding a little more miles to my usual running but not greatly so,& new shoes that didn't feel so hot could have contributed to my ankle's demise.

So I'll be taking them out for a spin tomorrow for 7 miles(I will be w/ my running bud so no speed). I bought some Alleve on Sat. but I want to hold off taking them until I see how my ankle holds up w/ the new kicks on the road & at the gym. So if my ankle acts up at the gym then I know the new shoes didn't make a bit of difference & I'll be hitting the bottle w/ ice. The Alleve bottle that is. But if there's no pain then I have learned my lesson about buying running shoes w/o trying them on first even if it's the same model that I have had before. I figure that I can use my slightly older pair(only a month old) for short road runs. And keep the drugs & ice handy.

Sorry for the long post. But I figured you're like me avoiding wrapping gifts,cooking(if you need to) & prepping for the big day & could use a break. Or maybe not. In any event,I'll be posting the results of my 7miler w/ my new kicks tomorrow! Good night!

No comments: